August 5 - 15
The Alaska Golden Circle route is a unique and scenic cycling adventure of more than 360 miles. Spanning two countries and covering the routes taken by prospectors searching for gold during the Klondike Gold Rush (1896-1899), this region offers stunning scenery and wildlife, gold-rush history, alpine lakes, and coastal rainforests. The ride begins in the Alaskan town of Haines heading up the Haines Highway to the Chilkat Pass in British Columbia, Canada. Breathe in the fresh mountain air and take in spectacular vistas of Kluane Provincial Park, home to some of North America’s tallest peaks. The temperate rainforest of Southeast Alaska is predominantly forested by Sitka spruce and western hemlock. You will encounter a myriad array of wildlife, including bears, wolves, deer, salmon, bald eagles and water fowl.
At Haines Junction, we turn onto the Alaska-Canada Highway (ALCAN) pedaling on the alpine tundra toward the capital of the Yukon Territory, Whitehorse. On the alpine tundra of British Columbia and the Yukon Territory we find elk, deer and moose among the mostly white and black spruce trees. After a welcome day of rest, we continue cycling alongside of the Yukon River and onto the Klondike Highway heading to and over the Coast Mountains to historic Skagway, AK.
Our tour visits to the towns of Haines, Haines Junction, Whitehorse, Skagway, and Juneau combine to make this an epic adventure full of wildlife, breathtaking beauty, history, and culture.
What to Expect:
This is a fully supported tour with indoor hotel accommodations (except one day), meals in local establishments, on-route SAG, and luggage transportation. There is one poshy camping day at Million Dollar Falls on Day 4. The weather will be warm and the scenery spectacular. Daily mileages range from 28-71 miles with an optional century ride on Day 6 and a 19-mile ride on Day 7(rest day). Bike rentals are available. Temperatures will range from the 40s at night to the mid to upper 70s during the day.
- Quiet, empty roads, abundant wildlife, breathtaking beauty, and unique history and culture of Southeast Alaska and British Columbia and Yukon Provinces of Canada
- Stunning vistas and alpine lakes along the Haines, Alaska/Canada, and Klondike Highways
- Cycle the region known for the 19th century Klondike Gold Rush
Cycle through Kluane National Park and Tatshenshini-Alsek National Park
- Remote cycling, camping (1 night) and hoteling in Alaska and two Canadian Provinces.
- Experience an optional century ride across the alpine tundra (Haines Junction to Whitehorse)
- Relax in the muscle soothing pools of the Takhini Hot Springs.
- Visit the cultural centers of First Nations.
- River float on the Chilkat River through the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve
- Welcome reception and orientation
- 9 nights in hotels, 1 night comfy camping
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- 10 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 9 dinners from fine-dining to home-cooked
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- All park and other entry fees, including river float fees
- Full van and baggage support and all camping gear.
- 2-3 trip leaders
- Daily route directions and maps, including GPX files for your GPS or phone app
- Insurance of any kind
- Optional guide gratuities
- Alcoholic beverages
- Items of a personal nature
- Bike Rentals, eBikes available in limited quantity
Airport & Travel Information
Passports are required at the Canadian & US border crossings.
Best option for arriving into Haines and departing out of Skagway is to take the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry or Alaska Seaplanes Flight from/to Juneau, Alaska.